Sunday, March 15, 2009

Ice Fishing






This weekend I went with my ward ice fishing to Scofield Reservoir. It is a nice little lake just outside of Utah County up Spanish Fork Canyon. My calling in the ward is the varsity leader of the teachers. We went with the priests and had a real good time. We left Friday night and stayed with Ty Bashum at a sweet vintage cabin that his in-laws own along the shore. It was really cool, most of the kids had never been before so they really enjoyed it. Friday night we went into the town of Scofield which is really small. They only have a general store with a few gas pumps. There is no hospital, grocery store, drug store, fast food places, just nothing really. It is a mining town. Most of the building are probably close to a hundred years old. After that we drove around and saw the actual coal mine. It was really big and had a huge conveyor belt running up the whole mountain. Afterwards we drove back and saw all sorts of deer just walking around. When we got back we put some take-in-bake pizzas in the oven and watched Billy Madison. I went outside and I wish I would have had a telescope because you could just see so many stars.
The next morning we got up and headed down to the lake, Ty had a ice fishing shack that was really cool, you put it on the lake and it blocks out the wind and cold, plus you can put a heater inside of it and it makes it nice and toasty. But the coolest thing of it all is that you could see straight down the ice hole into the water. The ice was about 26 inches thick. You could see the fish swim right up to the bait though the hole. Everyone caught a fish except for me and Charles on of the priest which was good. I was glad that most of the boys caught something, better luck next time Charles. As you can see from the pictures Doug one of the priests caught a big one that was about 15 inches in length. A nice rainbow trout. I caught one, but as I was bringing it up out of the hole it fell off and I wasn't able to hold it up or anything. But it was only about 5 inches long. But I had a blast it was alot of fun and I think the boys really enjoyed it too!!

1 comment:

Jaden and Stacy said...

Looks and sounds like y'all had a good time. So how is Brit? I haven't heard, have y'all had your little guy yet? from what I read on her last entry it could have been anytime. Y'all need to update us on her. I hope all is well!