I'm two weeks late, and it's time for an update on us. Our little one turned one! Can you believe it? Wasn't it just yesterday I was bounding up and down the stairs, hiking the mountains up the street from our house, and begging this precious child to please get out of me? Why is it that those last few days seemed to drag on for an eternity, but the last year seems about as long my pinky nail? It is the most frustrating part about being a mother. Your children grow up way too fast.
Dear Luke Joseph,
I included the "Joseph" part of your name because, good heavens, you couldn't possibly be more identical to your father in the little person that you are becoming. You may look like me, but I believe you've acquired an innate capacity to remain happy despite any and all circumstances. You are known among our friends and family as "the baby who never cries". You spoil me. Please keep your sweet, mellow temperament. I'm not just asking. I'm begging.
I remember the first time we met face to face. April 6, 2009. Sorry about my double chin and puffy face on that first day. I hope it's gone now. I remember the first thing I said to you: "Hi, baby. Oh, that was so hard for me. Was that hard for you? I bet it was. I'm sorry." And it was hard. But even then, you were so calm and comfortable with this whole "life" thing. So easy, quiet, and content. After much deliberation, we think it may be because of the substantial amounts of Chicken McNuggets consumed during your stay in the womb. Or perhaps the three gallons of milk I drank every week. Either way, thanks.
The only thing better than growing and delivering you has been watching you grow into a little walking, talking toddler. I still can't figure out how or when it happened, but it's phenomenal and I am loving your sweet, chill little personality. I love that when we go on walks, you put your chubby little feet on the tray in front like it's a dashboard and you're rocking out to Bob Marley. I love that when you get excited about something, balloons in particular, your little arms and legs get all stiff and you make little grunting noises and quiver like your cousin Sophie. I love that you say, "cool" and "whoa" for everything. Reminds me of the Sea Turtle on Finding Nemo. I really love that you only have two teeth. Thanks for that, too! I love that you love Lilly and you already try to boss her around. Please continue to do so. I don't always act like I love your trash digging or your cupboard raiding, but for your cuteness, it's a small price to pay.
Kid, you are walking all over the place. Already, I'm struggling to keep up with all of your energy! You are so fun. I love you so much. I want you to be happy and always choose the right. Can you do that for me? Great. Thanks.
Love,
Mommy
A brand-new baby Luke. About 5 minutes old. Notice how awesome I look.
About an hour old. Happy Birthday baby boy!
Chubby at 6 months
And now!
Luke had a great first birthday. We went way overboard and threw him a great duck-themed party with friends and family at our church building. Thanks to everyone who came, and thanks to everyone who remembered this sweet one's special day and sent gifts and cards. He sure is loved and spoiled to the brim. Lots of pictures to come, we're just waiting for the discs in the mail (Grammy Clove). We also had his one-year pictures done, and we should get those back soon. We'll have to post them. We also made a movie of Luke that includes both pictures and video of our sweetie. Joey will try to get that up.
Sorry for the lack of postage. We've been busy. And thanks to you, Peeka, for being you! We love you!
2 comments:
Happy happy birthday Luke! You are getting so BIG! Lotsa love from all of us!
Happy Birthday Luke!!! Congrats Brit and Joey. He is adorable!!! Can't wait for all the pictures!
Post a Comment