Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Breastfeeding Mamas

The tragedy in Haiti has caused a great deal of suffering. Of those that have been affected, many are children, some just tiny infants. Most are now parentless. As I look at my own chubby, happy infant, I can't help but ache for those that are struggling before their lives has even begun.



Today, I found a way to help. Experts say it is recommended for infants who have undergone serious trauma to consume breast milk rather than formula, if at all possible. There are just some things money can't buy, and this is one of them. Milk banks across the US are now accepting breast milk donations of all sizes in order to fill the need of hungry babies in Haiti. Find out more here.

Luke and I have decided to go ahead and donate the majority of our stash to babies in Haiti. The supply that used to take up the better part of our freezer is down to a mere 300+ ounces of "good" milk, and since Luke doesn't take it from anywhere but from the tap, I'm glad it's going to a good cause. I would pump and donate too, if I wasn't already wasting away as it is. If you are willing and able, do it. It's such a good (and free!) way to help the tiny ones.

1 comment:

Mandy Frehner said...

That is very sweet of you Brittney. You have a kind, kind heart:)